The village of Gavinton, with the associated parishes of Fogo and Polwarth, lies to the south-west of Duns in Berwickshire. This map (here) shows the local area with the community council’s boundary, and neighbouring community councils.
These maps show all the properties and postcodes in the area (here), and in Gavinton village (here). The town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, 18 miles, by road, to the east, provides access to the national rail network and the A1 trunk road, putting Edinburgh and Newcastle within easy reach.
A lot of the information on this website, such as information about the Gavinton Village Hall and access to the archives of the Community Council, is intended for residents of the area. Other information, such as the history of the three communities and the photo galleries, should interest anyone with links to this part of the Scottish Borders.
Like approximately 100 villages in Scotland, Gavinton resulted from the desire of a wealthy estate owner to manage his land more efficiently. It was established in 1759 when the laird of Langton, David Gavin, wished to clear the settlement of Langton in order to improve the agricultural output of the estate.
Here are some useful sources of historical information: