Most of the information on this page is taken from the panel displayed in the centre of the old village green in Fogo. We are grateful to whoever compiled that panel.
The first mention of the parish, under the name 'Foghow', is in a church charter dated 1159. It was given to the monks of Kelso by the first Earl of Dunbar, known as the Gospatrick.
The parish includes the Charterhall estate and, it is assumed, much of the population was once reliant on the estate. In 1801, the population of the entire parish is given as 507. By 1851, it is shown as 604 but by 1951 this had declined to 425. The panel on the village green gives a population of 21 for the village alone as at 2004.
Most of the buildings to be seen today date from about 150 years ago. The exception is the kirk which dates, mostly, to the 17th century. The history of the Fogo kirk is dealt with on its own page (click here or use the menu on the left). The parish of Fogo is now linked with Swinton, Ladykirk, Leitholm and Whitsome and services are held once a month.
During the Second World War, Charterhall provided an airfield and, as a result, there are sixteen war graves in Fogo graveyard. Full details of these graves and those named on the Fogo War Memorial are, also, on a separate page (click here or use the menu on the left).
For such a small place, Fogo is surprisingly busy as the result of the children's nursery that operates in the old school building and provides its services to families throughout the area.
The nursery is celebrating its 40th anniversary. See here for more information.