Introduction to Gavinton Village Hall
Designed to home the workers of the Langton Estate, Gavinton was established in the late 1750s. The Village Hall as it now stands, was the original school until 1874. At that time the Laird generously gave to the villagers the building, which is attached to the Butterwell Hall, and part of the field which became the Village Green.
In the 1990s a children’s play park was constructed with slides, climbing frames and swings. A specialised safety surface has been installed to protect the children.
Located to the East of the Village green, the hall was re-designed in 2008 by a local architect to accommodate a variety of activities and functions. There is parking along the green and on the streets.
Grants from the following organisations enabled the completion of the hall:
- Big Lottery Fund
- Robertson Trust
- Forward Scotland
- Scottish Borders Council
- Gannochy Trust
- Lloyds TSB
- Garfield Weston
- Gavinton Hall Association
- Awards For All
- And most importantly the Residents of Gavinton
The Hall is suitable for:
Training, Music events, Local community meetings, Baby groups, Educational pursuits, Weddings, Reunions, Birthday parties, Societies and club activities, Theatre productions, Fitness/yoga
Currently the Village Hall is used on a regular basis by:
Scottish Rural Women’s Institute
Community Council Meeting
Community Cinema – 2 films per month ( plus impromptu films)
Coffee morning once a month
Reivers week first week in July
Burns Supper (nearest Saturday to Burns’s birthday in January)
Special Community events throughout the year
Gavinton Village Hall is a Scottish Charity: SCO 0162.